This week in NYC we have soccer, country music, and Park Avenue is shutting down for a party:
Manchester City take on Liverpool in a friendly at Yankee Stadium Wednesday, July 30
Blake Shelton take on Madison Square Garden Friday, August 1
Summer Streets is back to its old ways, closing down Park Ave all day Saturday, August 2
The Museum of the Moving Image will be hosting a special screening and event with Film Critic Kenneth Turan Sunday, August 3
The Prospect Park Food Truck Rally can be enjoyed by all Sunday, August 3
The Rangers bring the Stanley Cup to Madison Square Garden, Museum Mile Festival is back, and Cyclists ride through Harlem this week in NYC.
The Rangers host the Kings in the Stanley Cup Finals at Madison Square Garden Monday, June 9 and 11
The Museum Mile Festival returns to 5th Avenue Tuesday, June 10
The World Cup begins with celebrations throughout the City Thursday, June 12
Head out to Crocheron Park for an outdoor screening of Tangled Friday, June 13
The Harlem Skyscraper Cycling Classic tears through Manhattan Sunday, June 15
What is NYC Fleet Week?
Fleet Week has been held in New York City since 1984 (sans 2013) as a way for the city to honor the US Navy and Marines. Special ceremonies and activities take place throughout the week in May leading up to a special commemoration on Memorial Day. For 8 days, sailors and soldiers will dock in NYC and enjoy a break from duty as they take in all the city has to offer.
Free Gray Line New York Double Decker Bus Tours for all active, uniformed military personnel during Fleet Week!
Fleet Week Schedule Highlights
Wednesday, May 21
- The Parade of Ships travels up the Hudson River beginning at 9 a.m.
Thursday, May 22
- Hoops With Heroes – Participating troops will play basketball games with teams from the NYPD, PAPD and FDNY at John Jay College
Saturday, May 24
- Staten Island Fleet Week Committee Music Festival is hosted at Sullivan’s Pier beginning at noon.
Sunday, May 25
- Greenpoint Veteran’s Memorial Day Parade begins at 8 a.m.
Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day)
- 147th King’s County Memorial Day Parade begins in Brooklyn at 8 a.m.
- Little Neck-Douglaston Memorial Day Parade begins at 2 p.m. in Queens
- USO Tailgate Party/BBQ Cook-off with the New York Mets from 8 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and New York Mets Military Appreciation Day beginning at 1 p.m.
- Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Day Observance commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address
Tuesday, May 27
- Navy ships depart NYC
Throughout the week
- Ship tours at Pier 92 and Sullivan’s Pier
- US Marines will be honored as New York Mets Veteran of the Game
- Navy and Marine Aerial Demonstrations
- Military Band and Drill Team performances in Midtown/Chelsea
So, will you be celebrating Fleet Week in NYC with US Military? Tell us about it on twitter @GrayLineNewYork and don’t forget to send us your pictures throughout the week!
This week in NYC, the NFL Draft, Contemporary Art, and Jazz in Harlem highlight our activities list!
The Harlem Jazz Shrines Festival at the Apollo Theater, Sunday May 4-10
The 21st New York African Film Festival begins, Wednesday, May 7-26
The NFL Draft comes back to Radio City Music Hall, Thursday, May 8-10
Bronx Week kicks off, Thursday, May 8-18
The Frieze Contemporary Art Fair take over Randall’s Island, Friday, May 9-12
Fleet Week Dates: May 21-27
After a year of budget cuts and disappointment, New York City’s Memorial Day weekend is bringing back its favorite event: Fleet Week!
To celebrate, Gray Line New York is going to give away tours to anyone in uniform, all week long! We love and appreciate everything our troops have done for our great nation, so we are going to repay them the best way we know how. Just come by our visitors center dressed in you uniform and we’ll give you your ticket to New York City. You’ve more than earned it.
Our visitors center is located at 777 8th Avenue (between 47th and 48th streets). Plus, all of your friends and family get a 10% discount just for being with you.
Fleet Week is back! Let’s Celebrate!
This week in NYC is full of intriguing conversation and epicure cocktails. Check out our 5 top events: