What is NYC Fleet Week?
Fleet Week has been held in New York City since 1984 (sans 2013) as a way for the city to honor the US Navy and Marines. Special ceremonies and activities take place throughout the week in May leading up to a special commemoration on Memorial Day. For 8 days, sailors and soldiers will dock in NYC and enjoy a break from duty as they take in all the city has to offer.
Free Gray Line New York Double Decker Bus Tours for all active, uniformed military personnel during Fleet Week!
Fleet Week Schedule Highlights
Wednesday, May 21
- The Parade of Ships travels up the Hudson River beginning at 9 a.m.
Thursday, May 22
- Hoops With Heroes – Participating troops will play basketball games with teams from the NYPD, PAPD and FDNY at John Jay College
Saturday, May 24
- Staten Island Fleet Week Committee Music Festival is hosted at Sullivan’s Pier beginning at noon.
Sunday, May 25
- Greenpoint Veteran’s Memorial Day Parade begins at 8 a.m.
Monday, May 26 (Memorial Day)
- 147th King’s County Memorial Day Parade begins in Brooklyn at 8 a.m.
- Little Neck-Douglaston Memorial Day Parade begins at 2 p.m. in Queens
- USO Tailgate Party/BBQ Cook-off with the New York Mets from 8 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. and New York Mets Military Appreciation Day beginning at 1 p.m.
- Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Day Observance commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Gettysburg Address
Tuesday, May 27
- Navy ships depart NYC
Throughout the week
- Ship tours at Pier 92 and Sullivan’s Pier
- US Marines will be honored as New York Mets Veteran of the Game
- Navy and Marine Aerial Demonstrations
- Military Band and Drill Team performances in Midtown/Chelsea
So, will you be celebrating Fleet Week in NYC with US Military? Tell us about it on twitter @GrayLineNewYork and don’t forget to send us your pictures throughout the week!