Yesterday we blogged about Christmas. Ok, maybe we should pull the reins a little bit and take a deep breath. Last I checked, it’s still summer. The sun stays out late into the night, sandals are still appropriate footwear and it takes a near-miracle to find a table for lunch in Bryant Park. Summertime.
But, as the charming residents of House Stark would say, winter is coming. It may be months away, but the fact is it’s going to get cold out sometime this year. So while the weather is still on our side, let’s get outside and have some fun. Here are the 6 things you must do before the summer ends.
- See a free concert in Central Park – There are so many free concerts in Central Park that it would be a sin not to take advantage. Every Friday is the GMA Summer Concert series, where you can catch the Neon Trees or the Backstreet Boys later this month. Later in September the Foo Fighters will take the stage with the Black Keys and Neil Young for a benefit show. These are just a few of the highlights, but there are free shows all the time.
- Grab a pint at a beer garden – Nothing says summer like an ice cold beer in the hot sun. With open container laws prohibiting you from walking around the streets with your own brew, a beer garden is your next best option. Grab some friends, sit outside and relax with the delicious taste of New York’s finest craft beers.
- Go to the market – Way back in April we told you to go to the market, and we stand by that decision. You may feel like there are street markets popping up everywhere on every weekend, but I can assure you that come winter time, you’ll miss them.
- Catch a ball game – The Yankees are in first place and play in the most historic stadium ever build in 2009. Why wouldn’t you want to see them play? The Mets are not in first place, but that doesn’t mean they’re out of it. They still have the most exciting pitcher in baseball (R.A. Dickey) and pretty cheap seats.
- Watch a movie – We’ve tweeted about them, we’ve facebooked about them, and now we’re blogging about them. Outdoor movies are awesome! Grab a blanket and find a spot on the lawn in Bryant Park. Swing over to Brooklyn and watch Clint Eastwood do his thing in Brooklyn Bridge Park (Unforgiven is playing August 23). You’ll have a blast!
- Explore the gardens – Have you been to the Botanical Gardens in Brooklyn? How about Queens? The Bronx? New York may not have earned the nickname ‘Concrete Jungle’ because of its nature, but there sure is a lot of it here. Between Central Park and the incredible gardens in the outer boroughs, you can spend days just losing yourself in the green. You should enjoy it before the cold comes and everything dies.
Well, there’s our list. What are your thoughts? Anything else that you want to do while it’s still warm out in NYC? Let us know in the comments.